Friday, June 4, 2010

First line Friday: Round 3

Here's another round of first lines for you (I know, I know, you're probably getting sick of them. But humor me once more, please):

I felt like I was trapped in one of those terrifying nightmares, the one where you have to run, run till your lungs burst, but you can’t make your body move fast enough. -- Stephaenie Meyer, New Moon.

I was thirteen when my dad caught me with Tommy Webber in the back of Tommy’s Buick, parked next to the old Chart House down in Montara at eleven o’clock on a Tuesday night. -- Sara Zarr, Story of a Girl.

I taped the commercial back in April, before anything had happened, and promptly forgot about it. -- Sarah Dessen, Just Listen.

On January 1, I made two wishes. -- Lauren Henderson, Kiss Me, Kill Me

There are places where kids like me go. Rachel Ward, NUM8ERS.

So Mom got the postcard today. -- Rebecca Stead, When You Reach Me.

There were only two kinds of people in our town. -- Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl, Beautiful Creatures.

I have had more than a dozen so-called mothers in my life. -- Ashley Rhodes-Courter, Three Little Words.

Julia was killed on Labor Day on her way home from a party. -- Jennifer R. Hubbard, The Secret Year.

One more rainy season and our roof will be gone, says Ama. -- Patricia McCormick, Sold.

Later, I would think of it as crossing over. -- Joyce Carol Oates, Freaky Green Eyes.

When I look into a mirror, it is her face I see. -- Ellen Hopkins, Identical.

Some of these work for me, and some of them don't. An blah-looking first line won't keep me from buying a book if I'm excited about the storyline, but if I'm only so-so, the writing in the first paragraph has a huge effect on me. What about you?

5 comments:

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

this was great - to see them all together. Thanks girlie :)

lisa and laura said...

I love this idea! Yes, I'm obsessed with first lines. If I'm interested or have heard something about the book, I'm not sure a boring one would keep me from buying, but it definitely impacts how quickly I get into a book!

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

PS gave you an award today on my blog :)

pierre123 said...

Comprare patente di guide
Comprare patente di guide
Comprare patente di guide
Comprare patente di guide

garysams said...

that was an amazing post

Carta de Conducao


Buy driving license


Comprar Licencia de Conducir


Permis de Conduire


Genuine IELTS Certicate without exams


Kup Prawo Jazdy


rijbewijs kopen Nederland


Kup Prawo Jazdy