Monday, May 24, 2010

YA: the newest celebrity trend

Move over, UGGs, little dogs in big purses, and reality TV shows. The newest celebrity hotness? Pen your own YA series!

I have to say, I was pretty upset when I saw Lauren Conrad's books on the shelves, but I thought: Well, okay ... She's basically famous because her parents are rich and MTV decided to film a show about rich people's kids, and, well, at least the book is about rich kids who get filmed and are famous because TV made them that way. It's basically the Hills in book form. (And since I was still watching the Hills at that point, I couldn't be all hypocritical and complain about it.)

But then Hilary Duff got bored with acting and singing and being ridiculously skinny and decided to give it a go, too. And I thought: Okay, okay ... this is pretty scary, but at least she's almost a teen, and she's kind of a globe-trotter, like her character, so maybe it won't be so bad ... right?

But then I saw the latest: Tyra Banks, queen of the smize, has jumped on the bandwagon, too, with a forthcoming 3-book series about models at an academy for pretty people with Harry Potter-like abilities. As for this one ... well, I don't even know what to say. Because Tyra? She may know a lot about modeling, but the girl's downright, batshit crazy.

I think it's time for celebrities to move on to a new craze, before Paris Hilton decides she needs to write a YA series and, in turn, brings about the apocalypse ...

7 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

I'm really afraid that you just jinxed us. Expect Paris Hilton's YA book deal announcement in 10..9..8..

Brittany Landgrebe said...

You know, the one that has bothered me the least is Hilary Duff, because other than a few artsy movies, she's basically fallen off everyone's radar (or at least mine). It seems she would have the time to write a novel, and she's very well educated. The synopsis for her book is intriguing. Honestly, it sounds good.

I didn't like Lauren Conrad writing a novel that's turning into a movie and has a sequel. It was pushy, very bland in that it was just her, fictionalized (or whatever). But I let her have it, because whatever. I wasn't gonna (and haven't) read the damn thing.

But Tyra? ... I love watching America's Next Top Model, it's my guilty pleasure for fun. But Tyra writing a book? Um, no. Like you said, that girl is whacked. *sigh pinches bridge of nose* There's so many things wrong with Tyra writing a 3 book series. It seems like she's the one who would be the most clueless about the process and difficulties of writing. (and no, not because she's a model, but from the one facet I see of her on TV)

I just hope other celebrities don't start jumping in as well. *cough*MileyCyrus*cough* Just thinking of it makes me feel violent, lol.

^_^

Tere Kirkland said...

LOL, does anybody really think Tyra's actually WRITING that book HERSELF?

Anonymous said...

Hillary Duff's novel actually sounds vaguely interesting, but the others... At least, I'm hoping this will get kids who aren't interested in reading to read -- that's always a good thing.

Little Ms J said...

Hiss.

lisa and laura said...

HA! We are clearly on the same wavelength here...

And yeah, it's time for these bitches to get off our turf!

Gabi said...

Hilarious post!