First off, let's be clear: I'm hating on the ABC family ripoff t.v. show, not the movie. I triple-heart the movie. It's one of my guilty pleasures. Now, on with the list of the 10 things I "hate" (hate's a strong word, but "dislike" didn't have the same ring to it) about the show:
1. Patrick Verona = nope. No way. Just not my thing. He's not a true bad boy; he's a bad boy wanna be. And he's just too ... blah. Not all that cute, not all that snarky, not all that likeable.
2. Cameron = too awkward to be likeable. No wait ... maybe he's not awkward enough. No wait ... maybe he's just a sucky actor. Whatever it is, he doesn't do it for me. Now, I never found that Joseph Gordon-Levitt (spelling?) guy attractive, but I still liked him enough to root for him. This guy? Ehh.
3. Joey Donner/Donnor = no longer an entertaining douche. Now, just a pathetic ball at the end of Chasity's chain.
4. Bianca = lost little goodie goodie too-nice new girl who wants to be popular but looks like she should just whip out her violin. (Nothing against the violin players out there. I'm sure you were all super popular in school. But the band geek metaphor was around long before I was, so I'm utilizing it, darn it.) That likeable bitch charm that Larissa had, this girl lacks tenfold. Who knows--maybe she'll come out of her bashful new girl shell and become the popular bitch I know she can be.
5. Kat/Cat = Too. Much. Makeup. If I can see the gloss and the blush and the mascara, it's a bit ridiculous. No self respecting feminist/popularity hater tries that hard. Just ask Julia Stiles. TV Kat/Cat has the spunk, so I'll give her that. And to be honest, she's probably one of the brighter stars out of the group as far as acting goes. But ... she's just trying too hard, which ends up making her look a little poser'ish.
6. Most of these kids walked out the door the morning of filming and left their acting chops at home. But it's like that with almost any show. Have you ever noticed how one of your friends comes over to your house, and she/he catches about 15 minutes of your FAVORITE television show EVER, and all she/he can say is, "Wow, that acting really sucks! How do you even watch that?" And you're thinking, "Oh NO she/he didn't! I think I might cry now." So maybe it's like that. Maybe they'll grow on me.
7. Yes, I said "grow on me," because no matter how much I think it sucks, it still has something that kept me from canceling the series' recording or turning the channel. Which means I'll be tuning in next week. And probably the next, and the next, and the next ...
8. No Heath Ledger. Sigh ...
9. They've kept the names for the main characters, but they've veered so far in the plotline from the movie that one has to wonder: why even bother with the movie's skeleton? Why not just come up with a new teen comedy and give the kids different names? The movie was out 10'ish years ago, so unless the show is aimed at the 20-somethings like me that loved the movie and miss it so terribly that they're willing to live vicariously through the t.v. show, I just don't get it.
10. Did I mention no Heath Ledger??
So that's my peace. Who knows ... maybe I'll do a 180 by next week. Stranger things have happened. Like squirrels that fly. That's pretty weirdo when you think about it.
**Warning: I posted this in a state of almost-asleep delirium. My apologies for things that don't make any sense. Like the flying squirrels bit. WTF?